Web design is a super dynamic industry. The designs trending today won’t essentially be relevant over the next season of jargon and market trends across the landscape. Amidst the dilemma of whether to adapt to the constantly changing web standards of platforms or decode limitations of security measures to be implemented, an average web designer flips over the task of being stuck between creativity and constraints of development and turnaround.
That is when life seems dark for a web designer!
In this article, we’ll explore the latest advances in technology and expectations that can make web design hard.
Why Is Web Design Hard?
Dynamicity More Than Core Technology
On the one hand, a web designer has to keep track of the trends in the industry. On the other hand, a new tool is introduced every other day on which they should be getting hands-on. So yes, design is a world far beyond PSD and Figma.
Devices, Devices Everywhere!
Because of how many different devices can access websites, the multiple devices are categorized into computers, tablets, and smartphones. These are further broken down by operating systems, such as Android, iOS, Linux, and more. These operating systems also have occasional updates that web developers need to be mindful of.
It seems like a reflection of someone’s frustration, right?
A single detour in the design process causes multifold efforts for the designer. It drastically strays the design from simplicity and flow.
The Bigger Problem
Difficulty and dilemmas in the design process are a pain for the designer, but they hurt the business more.
How Bad Do Designs Hurt Businesses?
As essential as it is, your website would probably be the first touchpoint for prospects to judge your product or service. Although you might be the best at the services or products you deliver, a bad design could ruin the first impression of your business to potential customers.
The website is a reflection of your brand image and quality. But a lousy website design would significantly harm your business’ professionalism and credibility. Unfortunately, 75% of web users assume a company’s credibility based on its website’s design.
One of the primary points to consider is that if you lose a prospective customer once, it will be nearly impossible to get them back. An eye-opening survey suggests that 88% of adults say they are less likely to reopen the website if they have a poor customer experience.
Wondering if you need to enlist the help of one of the top web design companies in the United States?
Here Are A Few Factors That Indicate Bad Website Design:
- Lack of visual appeal: A website that cannot catch a user’s eye cannot be considered valid and reliable.
- Non-mobile responsive: If the website is not mobile-friendly, consider it a failure in the name of a marketing touchpoint. According to a survey, 85% of prospects expect a business’s website to be as responsive on mobile as on desktop.
- Poor user experience: It is essential to deliver a good vibe as the user experiences your website. UX helps in intriguing the user to know more.
- Surplus colors & fonts: The abundance of colors and irregular fonts give an unprofessional look to your website to create a wrong impression.
- Slow loading speed: The bounce rate of your website would be drastically high if it is poorly designed and the loading of the website is consuming time. This makes your prospects frustrated, ultimately resulting in a poor user experience.
- Revenue losses and poor conversion rate: While building a website, one of the foremost things the best web design companies should consider is that it should increase sales and conversion rates. Your website is the primary medium to clock customers’ attention and makes them interact with you. On the contrary, it’s time to rethink your website design if you receive a low conversion rate.
Why Has Web Design Gotten So Complicated?
If you had asked this question in 2002, the answer would have been entirely different. Now, businesses are happy to have something which is accessible online. However, with the change in market dynamics, in this epoch, having an internet connection, a mobile device, and a laptop/desktop is no more a luxury.
Though it’s much easier to create and edit a website now than in 2002 by using CMS platforms like Wix, WordPress, etc., have you ever wondered if those drag-and-drop elements fit your business needs? No, right?
Some Reasons Why Web Design Has Gotten Complicated Include:
- User diversity: We must make clear that there is no one typical user type on the web now. People of different backgrounds, cultures, and ages expect an appealing website. So, there is no “one size fits all” approach to winning your prospect’s attention. Moreover, many potential customers would seek an individually-tailored experience, increasing the complexity. So, to eliminate the complexity, you must opt for the best web design company for your business.
- Ever-changing dynamics of the technology market: You must have heard a common challenge encountered by individuals in every industry; the constant need to upskill themselves according to technological changes. However, user accessibility has improved dramatically with the advent of new browsers and devices, creating a potential hurdle for web developers and designers to have to build upon their soft skills and learn more technical skills.
- New trends in the market: As billions of people are now accessing the web simultaneously, the pace of transformation in our society is rapidly growing. New stories come up and fade away in a matter of hours. New fads get attention and are forgotten in a matter of weeks. In this ever-changing trend cycle, it’s not enough for a web designer to focus on what was in trend last year. Instead, web designers must focus on what the competitors are doing, handpick new tips and tricks, and watch their target audience very closely.
Pain Points Of Web Designers
Web design is a tool-led industry. One of the significant points we discovered after researching for a while on the pain points of web designers is this creates a daunting experience for industry novices and people who are joining in after a break.
Moreover, browser incompatibility is another main issue in the web design industry. Only 3% of web users worldwide use Internet Explorer (IE), and this rate declines further in the case of websites. Therefore, developers and businesses must prioritize web design based on cost or benefit and select only the best web design company for your business.
Some Of The Common Pain Points:
- Tough to develop a well-functioning UX and UI: There is no specific criteria or chart that developers can access to identify if the website is good enough. Most developers don’t want to use components and drag-and-drop elements. Also, they are looking for a user interface framework such as Bootstrap. Day by day, the struggle for web developers is increasing.
- Hard to build a perfect website: Most web developers are developing slower user experiences, like slow loading speed. They have no idea how to eliminate this. Introducing various foot guns and multiple browsers only adds to the sophisticated process.
- The necessity to develop a secure site: Most sites posting blogs and news will ask, “why do we need to create a secure website?” On a quotidian basis, it is becoming stony to set up new HTTP, and this migration of new HTTP is a significant hurdle to adapting to numerous pieces of tech.
How Are The Best Web Design Companies Easing Out The Pain?
Various successful web design and digital marketing companies are eliminating the pain points, like the time taken to load a website, by utilizing free and paid speed-checking tools, including Google Page Speed Insights, Site 24*7, or GT Metrix.
Moreover, many web developers use browser caching techniques to enhance the customer experience. In this technique, some elements remain static on the user’s browser, including footers, style sheets, images, scripts, logos, etc. As an aftermath, the user visiting your website frequently will not require to reload the cached items.
Also, multiple CMS platforms have confused the developers about which theme to use. To eliminate this problem, design companies suggest developers identify the branding, audience’s needs, basic design ideas, etc. For instance, if you need to add a portfolio, want to drop the e-commerce functionality, or need a translation mechanism to address the audience globally.
Another point that web design companies consider is if there are any unnecessary plugins. Test all the plugins you are using on the website. If any are reducing the speed, immediately deactivate that plugin.
So far, in this article, we have talked about the dos and don’ts for a web designer or a web design company. While the market dynamics are changing rapidly, and upskilling and keeping yourself updated with the latest changes in the tools and graphic design software you are using have become a necessity, some tools help eliminate the pain points. As a web design company, rethink your client’s expectations, business goals, target audience, and other metrics, and you are all set to roll up your sleeves.
Contact Matchbox Design Group Today!
If your website could use a refresh or you’re looking to drive more traffic to your site, fill out the form below and we’ll contact you to learn more about your digital needs.