Junior Quality Engineer
Matchbox Design Group is seeking a Junior Quality Engineer. We’re looking for someone who has experience writing E2E tests, a keen eye for detail, a passion for accessibility, has exceptional communication skills and is able to work well in a team environment. The ideal candidate will have 2+ years of professional experience in the field and is able to start immediately.
Job Type: This is a full-time, remote position
Salary: $50k – $60k
The development phase can be one of the most crucial and challenging parts of a website build. There are various moving parts and technical challenges that must be overcome which is why we’re looking for a quality engineer to step in and assist with this process. We want someone with technical coding skills and a knack for writing automated tests to improve our QA process.
Additionally, we are looking for someone that can drive the QC testing process when launching new product updates, site and web applications.
Apart from having the technical know-how, we also want someone who works well in a team environment. We are big believers in the power of collaboration and clear communication therefore we don’t just want someone with raw programming skills but also someone who is able to communicate and keep an open mind to the ideas of their fellow team members.
- Professional Experience: 2 years (Required)
- Automated Testing Experience: 1 year (Required)
- Web Development Experience: 2 years (Preferred)
Need to Know:
- Cypress (or similar)
- Backstop.js (or similar)
- Comfortable using the Command-line
- Working with package managers (NPM, Composer, Homebrew)
- Working on a Mac
Nice to Know:
- Laravel or comparable PHP framework(s)
- Vue.js or comparable framework(s)
- Tailwinds.css or comparable framework(s)
- Visual Studio Code (It’s what we use but not required)
- Write tests for existing applications
- Assist with accessibility testing
- Assist with test implementation into our CI pipelines
- Build E2E test suites for new websites and applications
- Assist in functional testing of Merge Requests
- Improve test-driven development initiatives
- Introduce new testing technologies and techniques
- You have 2+ years of agency experience. (preferably in a web agency)
- You’re a great communicator. You can answer difficult questions on the fly and summarize complex conversations in a few clear sentences. You can also help others express their own thinking.
- You’re autonomous. You see problems and get to work solving them. You’re comfortable trying things you’ve never tried before and you take responsibility for every part of the success of the work you do.
- You’re reliable and detail-oriented. You’re a process nerd who loves systems. You pay attention to specifics and don’t let details slip through the cracks. You can manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively between them.
- You have experience and opinions about how to tackle creative work. Maybe you’re a certified Scrum Master or a master design sprint facilitator. No matter your background, you’re not afraid to adapt your process or try something new when the situation demands it.
- You’re empathetic and comfortable addressing conflict. You challenge directly and care personally. You know how to frame a difficult situation to avoid misunderstanding, name problems, and move toward a solution. You bring optimism, clarity, and calm.
- You love great digital work. Perhaps you’ve done some engineering, branding, or design work yourself. You don’t need to be an expert, but you’ll need a basic understanding of the broad strokes of design, development, content strategy and SEO – allowing you to translate complex technical language into simple terms.
- You have a sense of urgency. You keep important deadlines on your radar at all times. You know when important project assets are due and can help remind the rest of the team of those deadlines in a respectful manner.
- Phone screen
- Video interview with the hiring manager
- Video panel interview with a cross-section of the company
- 401(k) matching
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Half-day Fridays