Frontend Web Developer
Matchbox Design Group is seeking a Front-end Web Developer. We’re looking for someone who has experience developing custom websites with WordPress, a keen eye for detail, a passion for UI/UX, has exceptional communication skills and is able to work well in a team environment. The ideal candidate will have 2+ years of professional experience in the field and is able to start immediately.
Job Type: This is a full-time, remote position.
Salary: $52k – $65k
The development phase can be one of the most crucial and challenging parts of a website build. There are various moving parts and technical challenges that must be overcome which is why we’re looking for another web developer to step in and assist with this process. We want someone with technical coding skills and a knack for transforming creative concepts into a fully functional digital product.
Apart from having the technical know-how, we also want someone who works well in a team environment. We are big believers in the power of collaboration and clear communication therefore we don’t just want someone with raw programming skills but also someone who is able to communicate and keep an open mind to the ideas of their fellow team members.
- Digital Agency: 2 years (Required)
- Web Development Experience: 2 years (Required)
Need to Know:
- CSS (Sass & Post CSS)
- Comfortable using the Command-line
- Using and maintaining build tools (Webpack, Gulp, etc.)
- Working with package managers (NPM, Composer, Homebrew)
- Working on a Mac
Nice to Know:
- Laravel or comparable PHP framework(s)
- Vue.js or comparable framework(s)
- Tailwinds.css or comparable framework(s)
- Visual Studio Code (It’s what we use but not required)
- Expression Engine
- Convert comps to WordPress themes
- Build custom Laravel/Vue.js applications
- Assist in support of existing client websites
- Build new features for existing websites
- Estimate the time required to complete the work
- Proof/test your code to produce accurate and high-quality work
- Contribute ideas and development strategies
- Keep up to date on technology
- Can work in a team environment
- You have 2+ years of agency experience. (preferably in a web agency)
- You’re a great communicator. You can answer difficult questions on the fly and summarize complex conversations in a few clear sentences. You can also help others express their own thinking.
- You’re autonomous. You see problems and get to work solving them. You’re comfortable trying things you’ve never tried before and you take responsibility for every part of the success of the work you do.
- You’re reliable and detail-oriented. You’re a process nerd who loves systems. You pay attention to specifics and don’t let details slip through the cracks. You can manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively between them.
- You have experience and opinions about how to tackle creative work. Maybe you’re a certified Scrum Master or a master design sprint facilitator. No matter your background, you’re not afraid to adapt your process or try something new when the situation demands it.
- You’re empathetic and comfortable addressing conflict. You challenge directly and care personally. You know how to frame a difficult situation to avoid misunderstanding, name problems, and move toward a solution. You bring optimism, clarity, and calm.
- You love great digital work. Perhaps you’ve done some engineering, branding, or design work yourself. You don’t need to be an expert, but you’ll need a basic understanding of the broad strokes of design, development, content strategy and SEO – allowing you to translate complex technical language into simple terms.
- You have a sense of urgency. You keep important deadlines on your radar at all times. You know when important project assets are due and can help remind the rest of the team of those deadlines in a respectful manner.
As a company, we prefer to promote from within. An Intermediate level Front-end Engineer has the opportunity to directly transition to a Sr. Front-end Engineer, Full-stack Engineer, Quality Engineer or Support Engineer.
Future growth allows for management and leadership opportunities.
- Phone screen
- Video interview with the hiring manager
- Video panel interview with a cross-section of the company
- 401(k) matching
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Half-day Fridays